Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Misphah and Shen. He named it Ebenezar, saying , "Thus far the Lord has helped us." 1 Samuel 7:12

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

I Know, But...

So parenting a teenage is tough.

We are officially head deep in the "I know everything and will argue about it" stage. My 13 years old answers anything said to him with, "I know but..."

I know there is a term Huguenot but it doesn't refer to the people you are talking about.
I know what a variable is, but it's not this.
I know I need to do a science project, but...
I know the sky looks blue mom but it's really...
I know I will wash the dishes but...
I know I need to shower, but...

Some days I just wanna pull my hair out!

Getting the simplest of tasks done, you know the ones I worked many years to get done smoothly, now take a small act of God to get done.

Keep your mouth shut. I tell myself. Let him explain why the cats don't need to eat now, even though they are scratching at the doors. Let him explain why I don't know what I'm talking about in Algebra and he does, even though he got the problem wrong. Let him search and search in the dictionary for a word he says I am spelling wrong only can't find it because it is not I who have spelled it wrong.

After all when all is said and done, he's feeding the cats, washing the dishes and doing his laundry. The "I know buts..." Just seem to accompany everything he does.

Then of course I can look at my own life. My own attitude and see that I too am a know it all. Often when being prompted to make a change in my life I respond with a "I know God, but..."

See I'm not 13 anymore and I've grown to see that I don't know everything; but somehow, in someway, I still hold dear some things- often unknown to me until God reveals them. I can't imagine how often God must shake His head at me and wait patiently as I go on in word in deed in my own way until eventually I end up seeing that "I know, but ...He is right."

So in the wise words of James Dobson I will "just survive" through these years of I know, buts...
and
As always I'll love every minute of it!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...