Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Misphah and Shen. He named it Ebenezar, saying , "Thus far the Lord has helped us." 1 Samuel 7:12

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Day #5, Wednesday, November 28

I'm writing this morning because we've had such a wonderful morning already. We've made some leaps in our homeschool and I love it!

One of my biggest frustrations lately has been the fact that my children are of the age where they are more responsible for their work than I am. When they were little we'd read together, wrote together, worked as a group to accomplish our daily tasks. As middle school came upon us the boys began to take more responsibility for their schoolwork. They did this with my prompting and with a little of their own will. I teacha lesson, assign an assignment and wait or help as needed for them to hand in the chore. So when math work began to get handed in messy or incomplete or responses to questions are illegible, sloppy or make no scense, I often take that personal.
"I did train them well enough to be diligent"
"I didn't teach them what they needed to be able to do what must be done."
The self-condemnation comes easy for me and in the area of my children it can be the worst.

But today. Today was awesome!
One of my little birdies has struggled with writing. He can create through drawing, video making, story telling; but to write has been like pulling teeth. Not much of a surprise because reading has been a struggle for him too. Anyway after months of what do we do? Today we did it!

In our freewriting time he wrote the most wonderful, descriptive paragraph on the discovery of a cave! As he read it me my eyes filled with tears as I envisioned myself in his cave; dark and damp with the sound of water trickling by my head. It was a freewriting masterpiece!

He did it! He got it!
We prayed, we taught, we waited and he got it!
Thank you Jesus!

Tip Verse for the day: This is the day that the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it! Psalm 118:24

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...