Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Misphah and Shen. He named it Ebenezar, saying , "Thus far the Lord has helped us." 1 Samuel 7:12

Friday, December 07, 2007

Oh Well, 'Den

So the brakes go in one car and we break a key off in the other. I have my job and other taxi jobs for the kids, hubs runs a paper route; living without a car is hard around here.

We double duty the van knowing the brakes are on their last leg; I sit at work while Steve runs the kids here and there, we arrive early, pick up late and juggle our 2 car life with only one. Then the kids clothes rip and tear so that they each have one pair of pants left that don't have holes in the knees adn well getting to teh store is near impossible.

When life gets crazy like this, as it often does for us, I think of one of Steve's students from back in the day. Mitch was a gentle soul who's simple words ring in my head when bumps in the road of life arrive.

"Oh, well 'den."

Mitch was a "troubled" kid. He sat in the classroom with a dozen other kids who for one reason or another couldn't sit in a "regular" classroom. Most had been labeled as 1st and 2nd graders and I think they just learned to do what they wanted and the system would push them through. Anyway it was on a day when Steve gave Mitch a choice. Either sit down and do his work or go to the office. "oh, well 'den." Mitch said as he got up and calmly walked to the office.

Mitch had accepted his fate. Granted he had a choice and often life's situations are not what we'd choose, but Mitch accepted that he would have to make the long trek to the office and move on.

"Oh, well 'den." I find myself saying this when things don't go as I'd like. Fussing and worrying does me no good.
So what if the house is decorated for Christmas but not clean.
So what is both cars go down at one time.
So what if the kids wear clothes with holes for a few more days.

"Oh well, 'den."
God's got a plan bigger and better than mine and when a bump comes my way I need to accept it, pray and ask how this situation can be used for His glory- and move on.

Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
All of us who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you.
Phillipians 3:13-15

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...