Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Misphah and Shen. He named it Ebenezar, saying , "Thus far the Lord has helped us." 1 Samuel 7:12

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Day 11, Truth Cards

It's been awhile since I pulled them out. My truth cards.
Small notecards with Bible verses written on them.
When the boys were little I carried these cards around with me as faithful as their diapers. I'd pull them out and refer to them in the grocery store, in the library and any other place where I wanted to scream or just didn't know what to do. They offered me comfort and strength.
Today I've pulled them out to help me get through.

Not that things are incredibly bad, it's just the persevering thing. Sometimes it's easy, sometimes not. Currently running off to an island and giving up appeals to me more than anything.
But I've tried that, running away - it doesn't work. My problems and issues follow me everywhere, because you see: I follow me everywhere; and my nature is not one of obeying and self-sacrifice. Realistically it's the rebelling against self-sacrifice that is fueling my desire to give up.
So I've pulled my cards out again. Funny how when I drift from certain practices life gets crazy, for instance my cards. It's no wonder I'm beginning to believe the lies I hear, I'm not yoking myself with the Word of God regularly enough to combat the lies with truth. Jesus has said, "Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."

Something interesting as I did a word study on persevere, there are no results for that word in my concordance; actually there is one for the word perseverance, found in Eph. 6:18.
Instead it's words like "need of patience" and "endureth".

Patience according to Webster:
1: bearing pains or trials calmly or without complaint
2: manifesting forbearance under provocation or strain
3: not hasty or impetuous
4: steadfast despite opposition, difficulty, or adversity
5: able or willing to bear

Endure according to Webster:
1 : to continue in the same state
2 : to remain firm under suffering or misfortune without yielding

Patience. This one stands out to me this morning because I can see how my frustration with pressing on and persevering stems from a lack of patience. "Able or willing to bear", am I able? with God, yes; am I willing? not always - that's a choice I must make each day, each hour, each minute.

Endure. Continue in the same state. Too often it's a change of state that I think will make things better, smoother. God's instructed me to endure just how things are; afterall He's written about each of my days, who am I to try so hard to change that.

So here's what I've pulled out and will carry and refer to in the coming days/weeks.

Hebrews 10:36 You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised.
James 1:12 Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.
James 5:11 As you know, we consider blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of Job's perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about. The Lord is full of compassion and mercy.
2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness."
Psalm 119:27-28 Cause me to understand the way of your precepts, that I may meditate on your wonderful deeds. My soul is weary with sorrow; strengthen me according to your word.

And please, if you know me personally feel free to ask me how my walk is going. I can always use the accountability.
Cold Hands
Warm Heart
~Michelle

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...