Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Misphah and Shen. He named it Ebenezar, saying , "Thus far the Lord has helped us." 1 Samuel 7:12

Sunday, February 01, 2009

Unity

We just returned from a Superbowl Party! I wasn't really cheering for anyone as neither team excites me.

I was excited for the good food and great friends.

There were a lot of people there.

The game room housed a pre-game Guitar Hero fest before the high schoolers moved in. I'd say 15 or more lined the sectional during the first half and during the second they had migrated to hanging from the rings, of Olympic kind, riding the stationary bike and lifting free weights.

The tv room, kitchen and dining consisted of a few more high schoolers, several middle schoolers, young marrieds in their 20's, a handful of 30 somethings, a couple in their 40's, 50's and 60's. Husbands, wives, sons, daughters, grandparents, best friends and acquaintances scattered the place!

The bedrooms and den attracted the kids not so interested in the game, you know the ones yelling and shooting each other with dart guns wearing Stormtrooper masks. Then the girls with their clothing changes, dolls and dance turns. Babies napped in the far off bedrooms and conversations took place around the fireplace in the living room.

It was nice.
It was fun.
It was what I think the church is becoming, or should become.....
.........people doing life together.

It was nice to see my son standing beside his father having a conversation with other men,
who cared what he had to say.
He wasn't shooed away or told he was too young.

I even found myself talking about education with a veteran high school teacher in her 60's, another elementary teacher in her 50's, a high school sophomore in the IB program and myself. It was refreshing with different perspectives, different takes and unity.

Unity. It's what makes life more enjoyable. It's what's the Bible commands us to have. It puts a smile on my face.

I'm so thankful to have such a wonderful group of people to "put into' my children; to help guide them, speak truth to them, listen to them and above all be their friend. I'm also thankful to have people who care enough to sit and talk with me about serious matters and the not so serious ones. I'm thankful because some days I don't feel as though I belong here, as though I'm alone, unliked, an outcast; this evenings festivities reminded me that when I feel that way it's probably time for me to reach out,
get out
and be active in the unity of the body.

We laughed.
We cried. (OK so we didn't do this but it seemed to fit)
We ate a bunch of good food.
We cleaned up together.
We emptied trash cans and wiped up spilled drinks.
We lived life beside one another for a few hours tonight.

Having a heart for youth it was nice to see a large group of them hanging out, having fun and in a positive environment without drugs and alcohol.
With adults.
With people who can shed light into their lives and wisdom into their decisions.

I'm not a fan of separation, I think it leads to trouble. I like unity of the body. Unity of the family.

So we just returned from a Superbowl party!
It was fun and loud and for this homebody worth the trip out!

-Michelle

It takes a village to raise a child.
-ancient African proverb

1 comment:

Simply Dani said...

So my absolute favorite part of the whole blog: you took the time to link the IBO website :)

Last night was fun.
And I loved the fact that while I was walking through the house, every single conversation I heard was about God.

Love you bunches :)
Call me some time this week.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...