Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Misphah and Shen. He named it Ebenezar, saying , "Thus far the Lord has helped us." 1 Samuel 7:12

Thursday, April 30, 2009

Wrigley Field & Giving Praise Where and When it's Due?

Two Wednesday nights ago I had a cool opportunity to attend a game at Wrigley Field in Chicago. One of the highlights of my sporting career. Not that I have much of a sporting career but a highlight none the less.
Ballfields.
There is just something about them. I remember as a kid at Fenway Park sitting with my dad in the bleachers. The roar of the crowd, the smell in the air, hotdogs and the 7th inning singing of "Take me out to the ballgame". The memories that are attached to a baseball field will remain with me forever.
So I felt so privileged to have the opportunity to sit in one of the oldest ball fields around. It makes me smile just thinking of it. It also made me think of another topic, one that was brought to my attention recently.

But first, enjoy the pics.
Topic discussion at the end of this post.

We were like kids in a candy store, giddy as all get out.

See what I mean I just kept taking pictures. The Wrigley Field sign, the Wrigley Field sign.

The famous rooftop bleachers, they were amazing to look at. Next time I think I'll try to sit up there.

This was the view from my seat.


"Buy me some peanuts"

We never sat in our ticketed seats. When we began to make our way up to them I noticed a row of empty seats down closer, since we got there in the 4th inning and passed a bunch of Cubs fans leaving; I figured it was cold, the Cubs were loosing and people were leaving, we had good chance of sitting in someone else's seats with no issue. I was right.

By the time the 9th rolled around Kev, Les and I had made it a little closer past the "ticket checker" for the really good seats and got to finish the game real close. Then it was pictures of the whole group thanks to this lady who stayed well after the game was over to take group photos.

Here's the gang!
So on to my other thoughts.
Here I was a Red Sox fan, yes I will state that again I AM A BOSTON RED SOX FAN, as any good decent American Yankee is, and here I was smack dab in the center of a Cubs-Reds game. Since I can't go to a ballgame without yelling I had to pick a team and it only made sense I root, root, root for the home team...
I yelled,
I cheered,
I was a good Cubs fan that night.
I had the guy behind and in front of me agreeing that the Ump was from Cincinnati and I booed the home run hit by the Reds.
I cheered for players I don't know and chanted names I wasn't even sure of.
Interesting that I would yell and scream and carry on at a baseball game that my team wasn't even playing in.
Made me think... how do I respond to God when he does the amazing?
or the ordinary?
We talked about it as a group on our trip and then again at 33oC last night. How do we respond, or do we even respond when God shows up.
Hmmmm, sometimes I do.
I've been known to give God a good hand clapping in the car or in my kitchen. I have danced for joy because of Him and I've shared with others.
But do I do it nearly as to the degree that I cheered for the Cubs?
Do I go about my life, busy with kids, work, home and forget to
stop,
pause
and not only recognise God but give Him the praise He's due.
What would that even look like?
I think of Moses and the burning bush, Moses saw the amazing and he took his shoes off.
What? really? that's it?
Why didn't he fall on his face in awe right away?
Do I act that way?
Do I simply take my shoes off when a standing ovation is in order. Heck at the Cubs game the strangers around me knew where I stood.
I'd like to make this a discussion, what would it, does it look like for you? to give God (you know the One who created the universe) the praise and recognition He's due.
What would it be like if we all gave God the praise He is due when he shows up in our lives and our days?
If you're not a blogger you don't have to blog to comment, I'm not sure what you do but register with blogger and comment, I'd really like to hear.
Peace, love and food
-Michelle

2 comments:

Superhero Mom said...

I wanted to think about this before I typed anything, but here it goes off the cuff...I don't think any of us are capable of giving God the praise He is due. However, I also don't think it has to come in the form such as one would at a concert or ball game. I feel like I do praise the Lord more deeply and with more emotion than I do at games and concerts. Believe me, when I first saw the Jonas Brothers, I was so proud, full of joy for them and to watch their dreams come true was amazing. But you would never catch me with my arms raising, hand over my heart or signing like I do for my Jesus! I wasn't jumping or crying...like I've been known to do for my King! So you see, for me its not a competition at all - He gets the best of me, which is clearly not even close to which he deserves, but I reserve the best I can for Him. Great discussion Michelle! I love ya sister!

Vanessa said...

Catching up on your blog and I love this post. It's so true - I think, for me, I hold back my praise, my gratitude, my excitement, etc. over what God is doing and His promises because of what others may think of me. Which is so crazy and ridiculous! But, it's true - I think our witness would be so much greater if we (I) confidently proclaimed and praised Him and followed the tugs of my heart even when it may be a little uncomfortable. I think others would be able to see Him more clearly for how amazing and loving and marvelous He truly is!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...