Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Misphah and Shen. He named it Ebenezar, saying , "Thus far the Lord has helped us." 1 Samuel 7:12

Monday, September 03, 2007

Week One Down

One week into our school year!
And today we had our first day off. I usually don't take Labor Day off from school but this year we did, just because we could, and Vaughan had to work.

Our first week had some bumps, OK so it was my worst week this year EVER! (homeschooling just a small part of it all; but we survived. By Wednesday J and I were already falling behind and by Friday we finished strong- still missing a few assignments, but how was I to know that our science experiments would take a little longer than planned.

Oh yes, a little longer than planned. Gotta keep that in mind as most things with children take a little longer or a little shorter than planned.

Handwriting lessons, much easier than planned- J finished 20 lessons in his first 2 days... not sure that's what handwriting is all about- finishing the whole book in the first 2 weeks, but good job; science, much more fun than I remembered, therefore taking a long time to complete, putting it in the longer than planned section.

This week I'll add math into the mix for J and language arts and science for Vaughan, yes we stagger start- works better for me. I leave out a subject or two for each of them for the first week.

First week for Vaughan went great- last year's self motivation has carried over, what a joy it is to have him take that initiative, Lord may it last 'til Christmas.

As I get ready to jump into our second week I must keep in mind that my planning must be structured and fairly well put together but flexible. So what if we take a little extra time on a particular lesson and run out of time to fit in another one, it's the love of learning I want to promote and to put it in the confines of a checklist, it just doesn't work out quite right for us.

I also need to cook my meals ahead of time- planned on doing that today but it just didn't work out, a quick beach swim, before getting instructed that dangerous marine life had been spotted, lunch with my mom and a cleaning job took up my day so I got one meal pre-made. Guess it's time to implement my plan of having the boys cook a night a week- wanted to do this last year, just have a hard time getting this to stick- not sure why.

Well gotta go guys just walked in.




-Michelle
<><

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...